Wednesday 13 April 2011

Lets Go To San Francisco

A sight familiar to any film-goer, the undulating hills of San Francisco features in many of them either with trolley cars or with motor cars bouncing down at high speed. Alcatraz has been the star rather than the backdrop in many famous films, Bird Man of Alcatraz, Escape from Alcatraz, The Rock, the list goes on. I've never known the names of the street but the card puts me in the picture

"Cable cars passing on the Hyde Street line atop Russian Hill. Alcatraz can be seen in the distance"

My sender, Arlene, went to San Francisco for the weekend and fell in love with the city, finding the people to be so friendly. She had fun riding the cable cars. I envy her that ride I would love to hang on the side step and swoop down the hill, possibly with my head full of Judy Garland's Trolley Song, "ding ding ding went the trolley..", although technically that is from a different city ("'Meet Me In St Louis').  According to the SF Cable Car site the gripman will alert you to potential hazards on the way down. Don't know what they are, car chases perhaps.

Thank you Arlene , yes I enjoyed the card

1 comment:

Lynette Killam said...

Being in Vancouver, B.C., San Francisco is within easy travel distance for us, and is actually quite like Vancouver. And I must admit that I've hummed, "Ding, ding, ding went the trolley" as I've ridden down the hill...LOL!

I would be happy to send you a card if you are accepting them. Our Year Of The Rabbit stamps are quite beautiful. I like your site very much and will be back...so glad you visited mine...:)

Lynette
lynettek@shaw.ca