When Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 the imperial family paid for a church in remembrance of his memory to be built on the site where he was fatally wounded. This church which lies in the centre of St Petersburg by a canal is called the Church of the Resurrection of Christ, commonly known as the Church of Spilled Blood. Squinting at this card there looks to be a little market going on by the entrance.
The architect is Alfred Parland and, as can be seen, it is in the style of 16th and 17th Century Russian churches. Alfred Parland (1842-1919) built many churches and houses and was born and died in the city of Petersburg although his mother was German and his Scottish father taught English to the royal family.
A closer look at those lovely onion towers. The Church of Spilled Blood contains Russia's largest collection of mosaics (7,000 sq m) so no wonder it took from 1883-1907 to complete.