Sunday 2 June 2024

Movement

1987: Stamp Day

The movement of mail.  The bicycles have to be sturdy but for speed they have to be light

1984: Olympic Games, Los Angeles
and if racing against the clock also
1996: Olympic Games, Atlanta

aerodynamic
1984: Winter Olympics, Sarajevo
ice adds to the speed
1994: Stamp Day
although when delivering mail a more sedate pace is recommended. The stamp shows a Spreewald postman of 1900. I read that the Spreewald (Spree Forest) meaning the forest along the River Spree is sometimes called the Green Venice of Germany, perhaps for postie it is skates in the winter and a boat in the summer.
1961: 3rd Women's Gymnastic Championship
Meanwhile in a different part of Germany a sport that pushes the boundaries of what movements the human body can achieve
1961: Pioneers Meeting, Erfurt

but dancing is for everyone.

Sunday Stamps theme this week - Movement - See It On A Postcard





7 comments:

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps, love the bobsled one

marina said...

Great variety of movements. My favorite is the first one, but also the acrobat/dancer.

In the Company of Me said...

What a fantastic set of stamps! Difficult to choose one - I especially love the mail worker stamps, folk dancing and gymnastics (I used to be one!). It makes me want to get up and move myself!

viridian said...

What a wonderful series of stamps showing movement! I like the Mongolian stamps, and the bobsled too.

violet s said...

I imagine those German posties develop good leg muscles.
Enjoyed all of these, but the skater made me laugh!

Mail Adventures said...

All these give a strong impression of movement. That bobsled seems to be in the space!

Lisa said...

That first one is absolutely gorgeous! I have that last one, it's really bright and happy.