Wednesday 30 November 2011

Glasgow

 Charing Cross, Glasgow
It is St Andrew's Day today, the patron saint of Scotland, so here is a suitably Scottish card from the early 20th century. The post office still stands here but unfortunately the tram system that was once one of the largest urban systems in Europe is no more. The machine in the road to the left intrigues me, I have no idea what it is. I like to think it is roasting chestnuts although the two women passing the post office seem dressed for summer so possibly not.

The tartan is Dress Stewart, whose clan claim their descent from Banquo, familiar as the character that appears in Shakespeare's Macbeth.  I think Dress Stewart implies this is the one to wear at celebrations, looking good swirling around in a country dance.

2 comments:

Christine H. said...

I'll be there soon, but I don't suppose it looks nearly so charming anymore.

Joy said...

Christine - I must admit I've never been to Glasgow but the modern photographs of the post office look as though the buildings are still attractive but the roads and traffic lights nearby mean it does not appear as peaceful as the postcard.
Magiceye - Yes it looks very elegant.