Thursday 30 June 2011

Rockaway Beach

"Rockaway Beach, Missouri on Lake Taneycomo"
"Generations of vacationers have slipped away to Rockaway Beach on the waterfront of cool Lake Taneycomo, one of the best trout fishing waters in the world. Rockaway has a wide range of resorts, shops, stores; and is only minutes away from Shepherd of the Hills Homestead and Theatre, Silver Dollar City, and music shows galore"
 I don't think I can add much to the description above from the back of the card. well apart from the fact that this little town only consists of 577 people but swells to 3000 in the seasonal months. Founded in 1917 it is in the northern part of the Ozark Mountains, one of its slogans is "The Ozarks Best Kept Secret". legend has it that Al Capone once stayed here.

The dense green forest surrounds the lake and disappears into the distance on this card, when it first arrived I thought was a river. I was not completely wrong for Lake Taneycome is one of six a man made reservoirs on the White River.

My sender, David, says there are many lakes in Missouri. I would imagine these would be great places to go on a summers day in this  landlocked state.

The card came with three stamps.
This year's Lunar New Year stamp which I remember got a very mixed response from the blogosphere, summed up as "what the heck is that ".  Well it is two kumquats, supposedly lucky fruits.  Its only link to the Year of the Rabbit is the paper cut  rabbit designed by Clarence Lee and the Chinese calligraphy in grass style by Lau Bun which says Rabbit.  I like those two little elements.

 Next the useful 10c American Clock stamp which I often receive to make up the postage and the 2010 Mother Teresa stamp issued on her birthday of 26th August when, if she had lived, would have been a 100.  This happy portrait is by the artist Thomas Blackshear II.  

Thank you David for this lakeside view, I like cards with State names. 

No comments: