Friday 25 March 2011

Swanning by the River

A unused postcard from the early 20th century. No indication of publisher only the instruction that is for inland postage only, at a price to send of half a penny. Just think our postage is due to go up 10 times that amount next month.  The decline in the number of items posted is one of the reasons the increase is so much, according to Royal Mail. I'm doing my bit in sending lots of post, but of course this card is from the golden age when everyone sent mail.

I like the pink tops, the boat nestling in the reeds and white swans, a scene that brings to mind the long languid days of summer. It has been wonderfully warm and sunny here which brings on a fuzzy happy feeling of looking forward to days filled with flowers, birds and butterflies over the months ahead.

Beth at The Best Hearts Are Crunchy is the hostess of Postcard Friendship Friday here

10 comments:

MrCachet said...

Wonderful image!!! Thanks for playing along on Postcard Friendly Friday!

Funoldhag said...

Such a sweet, old timey picture - what fun to be sitting in that boat on a lazy summer afternoon.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It's such a pretty picture! I'm always slightly nervous of swans though.

Beth Niquette said...

I think snail mail may become a part of the near past one of these days. I hope we never give up sending postcards and letters that can be touched with one's hands and fingers. There is something so wonderful about actually flipping open a card or turning a beautiful postcard over in one's fingers.

Happy PFF! Have a perfectly marvelous weekend!

viridian said...

More mail! More postcards!
I showed the hurling video to my son and he thought it was fantastic. Those men are amazing athletes.

MuseSwings said...

There's nothing more pleasant than time spent on a lake in a rowboat! Lovely card.

Heather said...

Thats a wonderfully idyllic scene.

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

I do love the pink tops! I really like seeing your stamps. I will have do that hop soon, Lisa

Postcard Perfect said...

Sweet,sweet postcard!

Joining PFF for the first time.
Postcard Friendship Friday#1

Carole said...

What a lovely tinted card.