Sunday 2 May 2021

Labour

1952: May Day(Design - S Legrady)

Workers of the world unite for May Day although the person with the military helmet at the back is a bit of a worry however the man with the big hammer looks as though he can take care of things.

1950-53: Five Year Plan (Design - S Legrady)

I like how they use the 5 in this design showing factory workers and draughtsmen.

1952: Miners Day (Design - F Gal)

Miners get their own special day when they can leave their mechanical coal cutter. behind.

1953: Budapest Underground Railway (Design - J Vertel)

Still in the depths with continental Europe's oldest underground system (only London pre-dates it).  The original M1 line of 1896 is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The stamp shows work starting on the extension Line M2 in the 1950s, an east-west route.

.

1954: Definitive stamp
 

Lets come out of the dark and into the bright light of the Nile valley with an agricultural worker

 Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Labour - See It On A Postcard 



5 comments:

violet s said...

I thought for sure I'd have some Hungarian or Polish May Day stamps, but couldn't find any. Am glad you did. I did not know about Budapest's underground - another metro system to add to my list (whenever we get to travel again)

viridian said...

I like the style of the first stamp - so evocative of the Communist days of the 1950's.

Joy said...

Yes Violet Sky my thoughts too especially as a lot of the stations on the line have been preserved and I love a railway station.

Mail Adventures said...

These stamps seems to show a very different age...

Bob Scotney said...

The Hungarian stamps make me think of propaganda for some reason or other.