Sunday 25 April 2021

Olympics

 

1924: Olympic Games (Design - E Becker; Engraver - E Dausay)
I think this is the oldest Olympic Games stamp I possess, issued for the 1924 games in Paris. The stamp shows Notre Dame and Pont Neuf in the background.  I'm guessing the woman is Marianne holding a statue of winged victory.  Paris will host the Olympics for the third time in 2024.
1953: Sports ( Design - Andre Jacquemin; Engraver - Charles-Paul Dufreone)  

I always start off watching the swimming but soon get bored but I do like swimming stamps. The link with the previous stamp is Johnny Weissmuller won 3 swimming gold medals and a bronze for water polo in 1924 but went on to be more famous as Tarzan. He was at his best when the plot demanded he jump in the water and swim.

1960: Winter Olympics (Design - J Vertel)

The era of the winter and spring games being held in the same year. 1960 saw them in snowy Squaw Valley, USA.

1960: Summer Olympics (Design - Sandor Legrady; Engraver - Janos Zsigmond)

Hungary went classical with the Summer Games in Rome.

The stamp designer Sandor Legrady (1906-1987) worked for the Hungarian Post for 50 years, he liked the theatrical and historic

so the symbol of the Eternal City also appeared in this set of stamps.

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Sports - run over to See It On A Postcard
   
 

5 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

So many and I have not seen any of them before.

viridian said...

I haven't seen these either. The Hungarian stamps are an interesting look at the games. I have some Olympic games stamps too.

violet s said...

The 1924 Olympic stamp is very different from any I've seen of other years. I rather like the theatrical look of the Hungarian design.

DARINETIZEN said...

I am from indonesia
Harimau Berenang

Mail Adventures said...

I do like the Hungarian stamps, linking the old and new Olympic Games. But I'm afraid I'm partial to anything related to Rome... :)