Sunday 11 April 2021

Air Travel

 

Time to take an imaginary trip on an Airbus A300 jet liner.  The stamp celebrates Olympic Airways 50th Anniversary. My first ever air flight was with Olympic to Corfu which I saw briefly out of the taxi window as we travelled to the ferry and on to the mainland. Another taxi for a hair-raising trip at high speed round hairpin bends by sea cliffs while our driver scrabbled around on the car floor for the little ball that kept falling off the end of his gear lever. The car I think can best be described in sales parlance as a 'good little runner'.
1982: Anniversaries and Events - 25th Anniversary of Olympic Airways

The cover is flimsy airmail paper, hence that crinkly appearance, and inside there is an attractive sheet with Olympic Airways milestone and the datelines of its growth, ending with the year 1982 when they are were now "flying to 27 destinations in Greece, 28 cities abroad and represented in 65 countries".

1989: 50th Anniversary of Guernsey Airport

Another anniversary but this time of Guernsey Airport

I haven't been on an aircraft for years but I would make an exception if I had the opportunity of flying on a sea plane, here a Supermarine Southampton II flying boat.  Of course most importantly next is a Mail Van and  Guernsey Airways De Havilland Dragon Express.
Take off for the Short S.25 Sunderland Mk 5 flying boat and a BEA De Havilland Rapide

An Avro Shackleton MR3 and the short haul Air UK British Aerospace BAe 146 by the control tower.

1958: Airmail

Coming into land or taking off over a city is always fascinating so I'll finish with a view of Budapest and the chain bridge on one of their airmail (legiposta) stamps.

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Air Travel - journey to a safe landing at See It On A Postcard


4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I like the Olympic air company... All my memories of Greece are good! Although, nowadays, I prefer to travel by train & boat.

The stamp with the lighthouse would be an instant favourite.

Bob Scotney said...

Never made it to a seaplane = don't think I would now. Great Guernsey stamps.

violet s said...

The Guernsey stamps are very nice, but I really like the Hungarian one.

Ana said...

Would love to go on a sea-plane! That would be a first for me :)

Love the Guernsey stamps - love both the colours and the images!
I have mixed feelings about the Olympic stamp though - i see what they tried to achieve there, but to me it looks kinda clumsy - sometimes less is more :)