Thursday 9 May 2024

Riverside

 The Thursday Postcard Hunt destination this week is the river and I travel to the banks

An Out of Doors Study by John Singer Sargent (1889)
and what pleasanter place could there be to take ones paints and canvas.  This is John Singer Sargent's lifelong friend Paul Helleu and his young wife Alice who Helleu had met when employed to paint her portrait and instantly fell in love. He painted her for the rest of his life.  The trio were staying in Fladbury Worcestershire in the summer of 1889 so this will be the River Avon.  I picked up this card at a fascinating 2015 National Portrait Gallery exhibition "Sargent: portraits of artists and friends" which spanned his time in London, Paris, Boston and New York as well as his travels in the Italian and English countryside.  I wonder if he ever took a trip on a riverboat
1989 PHQ Card "Traditional Mail Delivery" by Mark Hess
A card of one of the stamps that were issued when the 20th UPU Congress was held in Washington.  This is the US Mail Packet Chesapeak loaded with mail. Keep an eye on that cart for something larger would send the Chesapeak to her doom in 1887 when she sunk after a runaway wagon holed her hull.
The banks of The Rance

I have always thought it would be a fine thing to walk a river from source to sea, not a thought I have put into action!  The Rance would provide lots of interest, the Barage de la Rance has the oldest tidal power station in the world and this card shows all the beautiful places to visit on the journey.
 

4 comments:

violet s said...

Instead of walking along a river, I have always fancied a cruise...
That is a fine looking mail packet. Sketching or painting on a riverbank looks a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

marina said...

I like maps, so the Rance postcard is my favorite here. I like the story of Helleu and the painting is beautiful.

Lisa said...

I love Alice's point of view! "You paint, I'll nap." Perhaps she underestimated how long it would take! I like strolling shores, not being on the water. Lots to explore.

Mail Adventures said...

The first postcard is wonderful!
I got a couple of Sargent's works on postcard from that very exhibition, as a friend had the chance of visiting it :)