Thursday 16 May 2024

Lakes

 The Thursday Postcard Hunt is looking at lakes so I'll start in my home county and


I've found another person painting by water this week but rather than a spouse she has a dog.  Windermere is England's largest lake and is the Lake District's most popular tourist destination.  If our artist wanted a change of view then there are lots more lakes to choose from
Top - Buttermere and Crummock Water where one can walk around both lakes; the self contained Grasmere, cream teas and the Wordsworth Museum and cottage in the village  Bottom - Windermere with a view of the two peaks of the Langdale Pikes and lastly Derwent Water, a relaxing ride available on the  Keswick Launch for a different perspective.
"Beautiful Mt Hood as seen from Trillium Lake"

For both the artist and photographer a calm still day is a perfect vision.  My correspondent says she has "only seen Mt Hood from the highway and it is lovely" but continues "I come from Colorado though and we basically are nothing but mountains" but Oregon has its compensation for she now lives a 3 minute drive from the sea (and coincidentally the next Thursday Postcard Hunt's theme)
Lake Kivu Islands, Karongi (Kibuye)

Lake Kivu on the border between Congo and Rwanda looking beautifully calm however there is methane trapped at the bottom so it is potentially an exploding lake although everyone hopes that won't happen.


4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

No wonder she is trying to catch the landscape with her paintings tools, it's magnificent.

I don't see a lot of postcards from Rwanda. The "exploding lake" idea scares me!

violet s said...

I love a perfectly calm lake.
My lake in Taiwan doesn't allow swimming because it is so pristine (and is drinking water), but this lake in Rwanda also wouldn't allow swimming, for very different reasons!

Lisa said...

That first is amazing!

I too have only seen Mount Hood from the highway, and the air. It's actually a good view on the short flight (less than an hour) between Portland and Southern Oregon. I didn't know about the lake.

marina said...

oh my...they are all gorgeous images. Mt Hood card is my favorite.