Saturday 27 January 2018

Riding Into The Sky

Here we are in the French Alps watching the Tour de France as the riders toil up the tarmac. The postcard gives no details on the back but I think this is the 'Col du Galibier' (2,645 metres; 8,678 ft) one of the classic climbs of the Tour which Andy Schleck once described as like "riding into the sky".  The 2011 Tour climbed the Col du Galibier twice to celebrate the centenary of the first appearance of the pass in the race and Andy Schleck won the summit stage finish after an amazing 60k solo breakaway.  The tour leader in yellow featured on the postcard I think is Miguel Indurain which would put the date as some time in the 1990s when 'Big Mig' won the tour for a record five times.

The spectators are enjoying the fresh mountain air while the riders are just trying to gasp some down.


Postcards for the Weekend theme - Mountains - reach the heights at Connections to the World


2 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

This is quite an original postcard. Indurain was a legend at that time!

Maria said...

What a majestic view! I will forever be in awe of the mountain cyclists' will and muscle power. I tried cycling when I was in the French Alps. I fell and injured myself with swelling lasting for days! I guess I'll settle into hiking/trekking -- much more stable with my two feet flat on the ground! Thank you very much for sharing and have a great week ahead!