Thursday, 16 July 2026

Palaces

 See It On A Postcard's Thursday Postcard Hunt - Architecture - Palaces

The monumental Winter Palace in St Petersburg, the former main residence of the Russian royal family on the south bank of the Neva River. Today of course it is part of the Hermitage Museum complex.

 

The Royal Palace of Aranjuez one of the official residences of the Spanish royal family. It looks a wonderful entrance into the square for high stepping horses. There is a museum on the ground floor and the rooms and gardens are open to the public.

8 comments:

violet s said...

I don't know much about the royal palaces in Spain, so now is an opportunity to learn. The Hermitage has long been on my wish list of palaces to see.

Mail Adventures said...

I visited the second palace a couple of decades ago :)
I wouldn't mind to visit it again. I don't think the Royal family uses it often.

marina said...

I cannot even imagine living in such big places.... They are beautiful, though. (Is Aranjuez also the name of a classical music piece?)

Joy said...

I've been to the Hermitage a long time ago, you could spend days in there.

Joy said...

It sounded amazing when I read about it. Must be the only place in the world that has a royal barge museum. I did wonder about the royal family residence with all the visitors.

Joy said...

Magnificent but not very cozy I think.
Yes your memory serves you right, it is a classical music concerto for guitar, beautiful piece of music. I didn't know its history so have just looked it up, it was inspired by the gardens of Aranjuez.

marina said...

Great! I thought so (I could have searched it too 🤪, but my brain goes with the flow....)

Lisa said...

Both are wonderful! The Winter Palace is especially impressive.