Thursday 25 July 2024

Towers

 See It On A Postcard's Thursday Postcard Hunt is looking for towers


and here a path through the squeeze style leads to St Margaret's Church. The tower has both clock and bell. The saint is St Margaret of Antioch of whom it is told that while in prison the devil came to her in the form of a dragon. The legend goes he swallowed her but fortuitously the cross she carried irritated his throat and he coughed her up.  The church's banner shows her standing on the dragon although in life she was a shepherdess (and sometimes portrayed as such) which would be useful in the Yorkshire Dales where there are lots of sheep.
Defensive castle towers in Antwerp's Het Steen, the medieval fortress is the city's oldest building and was once a gateway to a much larger castle

Ornate towers of the Yenidze Cigarette Factory in Dresden. Built 1907-1909 its oriental style was also used as part of the firms advertising.  Remarkably it survived the carpet bombing of Dresden in WW2 and today it houses offices and a restaurant. The 600 windows must make it a lovely light building to work in.
 

6 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful building for a cigarette factory! Certainly unusual for its location. That first one just calls out to me to take a stroll. Such a pretty scene.

marina said...

The cigarette factory caught my attention: very attractive. The caste towers are always fascinating to me

violet s said...

I appreciate how the colours in the Yorkshire view are all complementary. The cigarette factory is breathtaking.

Four-eyed-missy said...

I love the legend behind St Margaret’s Church! Growing up with tales and fairy stories, told and read by Mum, ignited my love for such narratives. The Het Steen is a breathtaking defensive tower; I can't help but imagine the stories its walls could tell. The Yenidze Cigarette Factory’s oriental style is distinctive and must have been a striking contrast against Dresden's cityscape.

Towers of Enigmatic Smiles

Therasia Fraire said...

I was diagnose of herpes virus year 2010 then my life got devastated i have no idea what I could do with my life anymore until I came across a old friend of mine tiffany whom we study together back then in college, she was an African America I explain to her my current health condition she laughed and say that is not a problem because she know a traditional herbal doctor from African whom will cure me completely with a herbal medicines I wow about the conversation then she gave me the herbal doctor email address drjekawo@gmail.com Dr Jekawo replied my mail and I was so happy and he explained how the treatment will go through 25 days, I agreed I paid the preparation fee of the herbal medicines and I received the herbal product within few weeks after preparation of the herbal medicines, I drink the herbal medicine as instructed I must confess that Dr Jekawo is a great traditional herbal doctor I go for a rapid test I was cured completely then I recommend him to my mom whom suffering from dementia and my husband whom was suffering from prostate cancer also get cured by Dr Jekawo. I want to use this your platform to thank him so much and to also recommend him to anyone suffering from herpes,cancer,fibroid,prostate infection,parkinson,gonorrhea,hiv,chlamydia,diabets,hpv,hepatitis and so many diseases Dr Jekawo can cure with his ancestral herbal knowledge is beyond my imagination.

Mail Adventures said...

You found very beautiful towers! The cigarette factory impressed me. I love they make beautiful buildings for utilitarian purposes; I am not sure it happens so often nowadays (with some notable exceptions, of course!).

We have some legends here bout St. Margaret and the dragon... gore-loving tales!