Thursday 25 April 2024

Gondolas

The Thursday Postcard Hunt this week is in search of Cable Cars and Gondolas , alas my hunt was fruitless despite knowing I have one somewhere but it has gone AWOL. Perhaps instead of travelling with the help of electric power I can bend the theme to water power and a gondola style carriage

on the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway which the card describes and this video shows here.  The card was sent to my parents in September 1982 from their friend David who was enjoying a coach tour around Devon and Cornwall.

 Taking to the water with gondolas gently travelling down the Grand Canal past the Santa Maria della Salute


and a more romantic gondola view of the Rialto Bridge. As can be seen the card did not travel through the post unscathed although as a slight compensation it does have a very clear Venice cancel on the back.

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I love your finds. The first one is really original. And Venice... always makes me dream!

Lisa said...

I've not seen anything like that first water powered one before! I wonder what that man was finding so interesting?

marina said...

The cliff railways is very interesting! Venice's cards are beautiful...

violet s said...

The impressive cliff railway has done well with "an absolutely accident free record". I was expecting at least one Venetian gondola, and you did not disappoint!