Sunday 2 January 2022

Stamps of 2021

 

2021: National Parks
 

I share some of this year's GB stamps and start with the first stamp issue in January celebrating 50 years of National Parks.  Here is Wild Dartmoor, inspiration for Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles, and an early morning mist in the New Forest

with a sunset in Scotland.

March 2021: The Legend of King Arthur

I thought the colour palette was too dark for the size of stamps but the FDC gives a light and misty view of Glastonbury Tor and King Arthur's sword.

For every child that read The Beano comic Minnie the Minx and Dennis the Menace made an appearance on the miniature sheet to go with the 'Dennis and Gnasher' set. Dundee is the home of DC Thompson, publisher of The Beano and many other comics, hence the postmark that tells one everything one wants to know about these two characters.

 

July 2021: Wild Coasts

Never far from the coast in the UK

August 2021: Industrial Revolutions

where cables to and from the world run. Many more have been laid since 1858 and even this year a transatlantic cable came ashore  here

September 2021: DC Collection

There have been heroes aplenty this year working for good

 

and alas villains too, but at  least some kept to the pages of comics and films.

I wish you all A Happy New Year

Sunday Stamps theme this week is - New/Recent Stamps - keep up to date at  See It On A Postcard


5 comments:

FinnBadger said...

The National Parks and nature stamps are stunning. Always a fan of Arthurian legend.

Happy New Year!

violet s said...

Superheroes are certainly having their time of late.
I've never read Beano (was more of an Oor Wullie fan when I was young, though my mother needed to do an awful lot of translating for me!)
I wonder what the fishes of the deep blue sea think of these new cables)

M said...

I live just outside of a national park depicted in that issue, but I regret not buying the issue when I could... it has already disappeared from the Royal Mail shop, and not even a year has passed since its issue.

Mail Adventures said...

I have got some stamps from this post, and my favourite among them are the nature and parks. So beautiful pictures! I hope Royal Mail is preparing more great issues for 2022...

viridian said...

Love the first stamps - rock formations! Great assemblage of stamps.