Sunday 14 March 2021

Lettering


1998: |History of the Letter
Lot of fonts on this stamp, I count five, as Pheidippides sets off on his run from the Battle of Marathon to Athens.  It is all downhill from here
1992: 350th Anniversary of the Civil War (Design - Jeremy Sancha)

and another battle, or in this case a lot of them in the English Civil War

Why the little squiggly things at the end?  I don't know the significance perhaps it is to make the text a block although at the back of my mind I seem to remember that in the past there were no punctuation marks, as we know them today, to divide sentences.  No mention of them in an article about the stamp design here.
1930: International Colonial Exposition, Paris (Design Louis Regal; Engraver Abel Mignon)

I love the art deco vibe in these French stamps and indeed it is a style associated with the art of Louis Regal, artist, sculptor and mosaicist.

1935: German Rail Centenary (Design - Karl Diebitsche)

I also like a Blackletter or Gothic typeface (in this case Fraktur) and here it comes with the Flying Hamburger, Germany's first fast diesel train (the fastest railway connection in the world in 1935).

1947-48 Definitive (Design - Hopfner)

A pared down blackletter issued by the Allied Occupation in Germany showing an allegory of Germany reaching for Peace (there were 21 definitives).  In theory all the zones had to use the same stamps after 1945, which was generally true apart from the French zone which liked to produce its own issues.  The postmark of Demmin  is in North East Germany which was the Soviet Zone (Postal District 37/38).

Gill Sans

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Fonts and Typefaces - read more at See It On A Postcard  

3 comments:

violet s said...

So many different typefaces here!
The 'squiggles' are a mystery. Each stamp has a different number of them and I wonder why drummer has a different font size than pikeman when they are the same number of letters.
I'm glad you like the gothic - it's not a favourite of mine (too hard to read for me!)

viridian said...

I like the Civil War stamps. You are spot on the theme. I just shared some Czech stamps.

Mail Adventures said...

The first stamp would have a preferent place in my collection!
A good catalogue of fonts on this post. The last stamp, about the Gill font, has a very curious design. I hadn't see it.