Sunday 28 March 2021

Children


1964: Child Welfare (Design - RDE 'Ootje' Oxenaar)

A young artist gets to work with his paintbrush

Meanwhile down the corridor a girl is playing a recorder
while toy-making is in progress at the work shop. 
2002: Astrid Lindgren 1907-2002

Well away from school these children are having adventures while Astrid Lindgren looks benignly on. Starting from the top left and going clockwise we have - Pippi Longstocking; Karlsson on the Roof; Emil of Lonneberga, Madicken,  Lotta on Troublemaker Street and lastly The Brothers Lionheart 

Weirdly before I had chosen my stamps for this week I read how the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award graphics had been redesigned, the result was inspired by her stories and her shorthand notebooks. I knew nothing about her unique shorthand, of which little has been deciphered. There is now a Swedish project called the Astrid Lindgren Code to decode the manuscripts.  The Design Week article is here

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Children - go play at See It On A Postcard

4 comments:

violet s said...

I don't believe I have ever read any of Astrid Lindgren's books. I should rectify that.
I worry for that little boy with the hammer... :)

Ana said...

I've read Pipi and Karlsson from Astrid's books - though long time ago. Loved them both! She is a great writer that knows how to make a child get absorbed in her stories.
THis is the first time I actually see the whole sheet, I've only seen some of the individual stamps so far.
I like the Dutch too - they kinda say that children are capable of many stuff and have many talents, one just needs to know how to recognize it and stimulate it properly, something we dont really get in the current education system (at least here =/)

Mail Adventures said...

The design of the first stamps is simple but very effective, love them.
Oh, and I'm very fond of Pippi. I had never seen these stamps, though.

Bob Scotney said...

I cam across Pippi Longstocking when in Norway what sees like many years ago now.