Sunday 24 March 2019

Where Eagles Fly

1983: Birds of Prey
An Eastern Imperial Eagle with its large clear eyes and projecting brows gazes from its perch somewhere in Hungary. With a wingspan of 6-7ft (1.8-2.16m) it would be impossible to miss in the skies although it is a species on the red list and designated as 'vulnerable' so perhaps one would have to travel to the North Hungarian Mountains and, only if lucky, see it soar among the peaks.
The Lesser Spotted Eagle is an unusual bird of prey in that it hunts its diet of frogs, mice and insects on foot and can be seen prowling in lightly wooded areas.
1983: Birds of Prey (Design - Szucs Erzsébet)
although the postmark is a very satisfactory swooping eagle
2001:Birds of Prey
The wedge taled eagle is Australia's largest bird of prey and one of the largest eagles in the world with a wing span of 6ft - 7ft 7in and is reported to be able to fly tirelessly for hours on end soaring high in the skies of Australia, Tasmania and Papua New Guinea at altitudes of 2000 metres and has even been recorded as high as 6,800 metres above the ground. On the stamp it has decidedly got its feet on the ground or rather a fluffy bunny, its common meal of choice.
1969: Legend (Design - J Rosing: Engraver - Cz Slania)
Eagles have featured in the legends of many cultures and this stamp features a Greenland legend called 'The Girl and the Eagle'. The blog 'Slania Crazy' was unable to find any telling of the story and I have drawn a blank also so all I can do is gaze at the stamp, see the rope in her hand, the stern gaze of the eagle and the vista from a high peak.  The stamp was the 5th in an occasional one stamp issue on the theme of Greenland Legends issued from 1957-1969.

Now you may have noticed I haven't found any eagles with wings unfurled so will have to
1975: Winter Olympics, Innsbruck, Austria 1976
go off piste and watch one about to swoop on a bobsleigh team.  The poster featured on the stamp is from the first ever Winter Olympics in Chamonix, 1924 and serendipitously this stamp gives me three Es all in one.



The Sunday Stamps II prompt this week is the Letter E - here for Eagle, Equatorial Guinea and ekuele - swoop over for more Es at  See It On A Postcard


7 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

EAgles are fascinating creatures. I love that postmark and, yes, the story of the girl with the rope is intriguing!

FinnBadger said...

These are lovely. Nice to have the maxi cards to go with the stamps.

violet s said...

For a brief second, I thought of Eddie the Eagle with that last stamp - but wrong city and 12 years too early for him!
It looks like this Greenlander girl is bowing in respect to the fierce eagle.

Ana said...

that Aussie stamp gave me the shudders a bit... I know that is how the food chain goes, but it always makes me sad when I see an animal hunted down and being killed... and looks so realistically depicted on the stamp.
And I've never been a collector of maxi-cards, but when nicely done like these, I feel like starting to collect them as well... like on any topic :)

Heleen said...

Beautiful stamps, and I am looking forward to read about the legend (first looking at all Sunday Stamps contributions)!

Same as Ana, I used to shudder and dislike pictures showing hunted animals. Until - recently! - I realized that the predators have to feed their infants, too (who look cute, I see many people have crushes on kitten and puppy photos..). And without predators all prey animals probably would be starving because too many animals would mean finally lack of food for themselves. Still I feel pity for the poor rabbit, but acceptable from the point of view of the eco system.

Bob Scotney said...

A group of stamps to envy and be proud of.

Beth Niquette said...

These are amazing. Whenever I see Eagles, I think of my Dad--who was himself a grand old bird. I would love it if you'd consider leaving a link for Postcard Friendship Friday. :D