Friday 20 January 2017

Sunset

Sunset in the arctic where at this time of the year there is about 5 hours of daylight.  I had to tweak the scan of the postcard so that it looked as near as I could get it to the colour on the card however I did think that
the original scan looked almost likes sunrise. Reindeer know all about light because they are the only mammal that can see ultraviolet light and rely on it to see things other animals would miss in the snowy expanse of the arctic such as the lichen they rely on for food, and predators who look on them as food.  It also means the reindeer will be seeing a different and perhaps more colourful sunset than we do. 


Postcards for the Weekend theme - Sunrise/Sunset -  follow the sun at Connections to the World

6 comments:

Helen said...

So interesting. I had no idea that Reindeer could see ultraviolet light. I join you in wondering if they can see more colours in the sunset than we can.

Great card, thanks for posting it!

violet s said...

I always manage to learn something from your posts!

Mail Adventures said...

So I wasn't the only one who didn't know that about reindeer...
Beautiful picture, indeed!

Heleen said...

Amazing fact! Neither me knew about the reindeer's extraordinary vision until now!
And amazing picture, I thought reindeer live in groups, but this one looks so lonesome...

Joy said...

Look closer Heleen, just below the reindeer's head is a small reindeer shaped form. (easier to spot on the card than on the scan I think).

Maria said...

Oh wow! Both versions are beautiful Joy! And thanks too for that information about the reindeer's vision.