Sunday 18 December 2016

Winter Solstice

2001: Christmas Stamps
Here are some of Santa's little helpers on a First Day Cover from Finland

A girl elf with her plaited hair looking through Santa's A-Z book. Is that a J on the page?  Hope my names there!  The presents are then delivered on a moonlit winter's night by an elf boy on a kick sled.  These stamps were the last to be issued in Finnish currency (the markka) the next ones in January 2002 would be in euros.  The stamps are illustrated by Pekka Vuori (b1935) a famous illustrator of his own and other Finnish authors children's literature.
Pekka Vuori likes to draw Finnish folk heritage and continues his illustrated envelope on the reverse with what must be a hare, associated with the moon in cultures across the world and of course is supposed to be magical. 
2016: Christmas Stamps
Father Christmas is also busy delivering parcels and when he has finished whizzes home on his empty sledge. These are illustrated by Fredrik Skavlan, Norwegian TV host and children's illustrator.
Lastly is one of this year's Finnish stamps called 'Run My Reindeer' which was one of the winners for this year's competition to design Christmas stamps.  Yes I'd like to cuddle a reindeer too and this stamp makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as those gloves.  The illustrator, Sari Airola, says
"To me, one of the most important aspects of Christmas is friendship and caring for others. I wanted my stamp design to conjure up friendship and warmth. I selected classic Finnish Christmas characters, a reindeer and an elf. The reindeer is related to Father Christmas and Lapland, and Finnish elves traditionally care for farm animals and the inhabitants of forests. My stamp design depicts the friendship between the two characters during a Christmas trip."

An entry to Sunday Stamps II theme - Secular Christmas - enjoy the solstice at See It On A Postcard

4 comments:

FinnBadger said...

That first day cover is gorgeous, and I love the added detail on the back.

Great Finnish stamp to finish off your post - with fun 'perforations'.

VioletSky said...

This year's Finnish stamp is adorable.
Thank you for explaining the backside of the envelope... that elf on the sled had good legs :)
And, I love that Norwegian Santa having fun (surely you'd think he would e tired, but, no!)

Maria said...

Hi Joy, I'm sure your name is on that page :D

Finnish stamps are always nicely designed and printed. Thanks for sharing the ones in your collection, I don't have any of these.

Bob Scotney said...

A great first day cover. I would have enjoyed receiving that Norwegian stamp as well.