Thursday, 17 September 2026

Railway Bridges

 See It On A Postcard's Thursday Postcard Hunt is in search of railway bridges

Knaresborough, Yorkshire. Railway Poster by Jack Merriot (1954)
A train crosses Knaresborough Viaduct over the River Nidd. The artist, Jack Merriot (1901-68) created both railway and GPO posters, today highly collectable (ie expensive). Painter, illustrator, writer and teacher, his style was described as being "characterised by a breezy freshness, crisp with well-controlled colour". His posters certainly suggest that one was about to arrive by train to a rarefied idyll. 
Settle-Carlisle Line Postcard No 64
The Duchess of Sutherland hauling a chartered passenger train travelling from Carlisle to York crossing the small Bongate Bridge near Appleby. The railway station at Appleby has a water tower where steam trains have the opportunity to take on water.

As a contrast to countryside scenery here was an opportunity to view the docks of Liverpool  as well as the ocean liners and shipping traffic on the River Mersey. The railway opened in 1893 and closed in 1956 when it was demolished.

3 comments:

violet s said...

I was thinking there was quite a contrast between the first two bridges, then we got to the third one! I agree the first is quite romanticized, and the third is an "unrivalled view"

pnsoares said...

Indeed. What a contrast between the 1st and the last images. I love the last one. I can almost smell rust and salt in the air and hear the noise of the ship's sirens and the train on the tracks : -)

marina said...

Three gorgeous postcards. I love the first painting!