Thursday 17 October 2024

More Beer

 See It On A Postcard's Thursday Postcard Hunt is in search of a drink... 


An idyllic summer scene on the river and The Jolly Angler looks the perfect place to stop. One of the boaters is looking with anticipation at the landlord carefully pouring his beer.

Worthington's label symbol was created in 1863 and the postcard is of a showcard from c1895. Today the company is owned by one of large conglomerates.


For unlimited choice head to Belgium with a different glass for every type of beer. I am rather fond of their fruit beers.
In contrast  the Preston Teetotal movement, started by Joseph Livesey in 1832, encouraged people to take a teetotal pledge of abstinence from alcohol.  The Harris Museum in Preston holds a collection of objects of which this is one.

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Belgian beers are legendary! I have visited Belgium several times, and each time I have sent at least a couple of beer postcards!

Oh, and I didn't expect a teetotal postcard!

Lisa said...

I like that first one. I've read about places that have a dock to just pull up to dine, or drink, but no dock service like that. Drunk boating is a thing!

violet s said...

Belgian beers are the best. I find it a little sad that so many breweries are owned by only a few conglomerates - one of the biggest, ironically, is Belgian.

marina said...

Very nice postcards you got here! I like the Belgian card the best