Thursday 29 February 2024

Temple and church

 See It On a Postcard' Thursday Postcard Hunt for Temples and Churches - for all things spiritual...

Prasat Angkor Wat Temple

starting with the famous12th Century Buddhist temple complex Angkor Wat in Cambodia
Notre-Dame de Paris

and an ethereal view of Notre-Dame. The spire once again rises after the fire in 2019 having been recently erected last year topped with cross and cockerel. All this was very much in the future when this card was sent in September 1931.

Holy Trinity Church, Howgill, Cumbria
In contrast to these world renowned buildings  hunkered down among the Howgill Fell is this sturdy little church built in the 19th century.  I can never resist a card with sheep and in this context as the Bible verse says "I know my sheep and my sheep know me..."


4 comments:

Lisa said...

What a lovely old postcard that is!
I too love sheep, and that is a wonderful view! One sheep looks like it skipped the shearing.

marina said...

I love that verse: I use it all the time! It is a beautiful church indeed. The Cambodian building is so massive.

Mail Adventures said...

Me too, I'm very partial to the postcards with sheep :)
I love the atmosphere of the vintage postcard of Paris, too.

violet s said...

The most famous Buddhist temple is one I have no postcard of... yet!
Though, I believe I have one similar to yours of Notre Dame.
The churches I feel most at peace in are the more humble ones like this one in Cumbria.