Sunday 18 July 2021

Stamp Travels

 

1902-1914: Railway Parcel Stamp (Design Francois Poortman)

I  may have taken the Sunday Stamps theme 'issued in the 1900s' too literately I discover but enjoyed delving back to the first decade of the 20th Century. So, all aboard the steam train we are travelling in the parcels van on Belgium's extensive rail network. Almost seems a shame to use this lovely stamp on a parcel

as it will get a sturdy postmark.Thwack. I enjoy the romance of all those different place names. The square oblong postmarks are the railway service cancels, the post office used round cancels.

Underneath this cancel is a winged rail wheel which would become a familiar motif on Belgium parcel stamps.  I will continue my journey through the Belle  Époque and visit

1907: Industrial Exposition

Spain. These stamps were issued at the 1907 Industrial Exposition for purchase by collectors but not issued by the Spanish postal service and not valid for postage. A memento of a visit. They show King Alfonso and Queen Victoria Eugenia (granddaughter of GB's Queen Victoria).
1906: 40 Years Rule of Prince and King (Design I Pompilian)

More royalty as  Prince Carol I meets Osman Pasha at the end of the Russo-Turkish War (1877-78) also called in this context the Romanian War of Independence.  Carol was Marshal of the Russian troops and commander of the Romanian forces.

1908: King Carol I (Design I Pompilian Engraver G Popescu)

Here his beard has grown lush. Ruled as prince from 1866-1881 and king from 1881-1914.

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Issued in the 1900s - travel back to See It On A Postcard





3 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I was tempted to show older stamps, too. But finally I decided for modern ones reminding us the first decades of the 20th century.

Those Spanish stamps are very curious, I had never seen them. They must be expensive at the time, because, as I just read they were "required to be duplicated (by the organisers) with general issue stamps".

Debs @ PennyBlack1840.com said...

These are wonderful! I particularly like the set for the Industrial Exposition, with their informal pose! Too romantic for official issue I suppose! I went for very early stamps of the 20th century too.

violet s said...

I'm glad you went so far back in time.
I find it interesting when you see many cancellations and date/time marks so you can see the journey the of the envelope. But yes, those heavy cancels do mar the artwork of the stamp.