Sunday 13 June 2021

Manx Cats

 

2017: Manx Cats (Design - Lesley Anne Ivory)

There are many stories of why the Manx cat has no tail. My favourite is that they were cut off when Noah closed the door of the Ark. They also have a double layer of fur, all the better for stroking. The artist, Lesley Anne Ivory, says the stamp commission allowed her "to bring together some of my favourite things, cats, flora, fauna and the designing and making of patchwork quilts". Left - Manx Tabby with Mugwort on a Mugwort quilt; Right - Ginger and Black and White Manx cats on Fushia Quilt

Left - Manx cat and kittens with Ragwort and Daisy quilt; Right - Manx cat with Harebells on Rabbit and Harebell quilt.
1991:Definitive (Celestino Piatti)


 

If I was a cat I think I would like a long tail to curl and swish like this one.

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Cats - See It On A Postcard

 


 

6 comments:

Penny Black 1840 said...

Gorgeous stamps! I wonder how Manx cats manage to balance so well ...

violet s said...

I've also though the Manx would be sad to not have a tail to wrap around itself and to swish things of tables.
Love, love these stamps, especially for the inclusion of the quilts.

violet s said...

and does that Swiss mama cat look just a little bit fed up?!

viridian said...

Like the set of Manx cats.

Mail Adventures said...

I like the quilts more than the cats, on these stamps!

Bob Scotney said...

I don't think I have ever seen a Manx cat - perhaps I need to go to the IOM.