Sunday 11 November 2018

Mongolian Marionettes

1988: Puppets
Time to watch a marionette show.  I couldn't find anything to explain the folk stories told in these stamps but can imagine the stories are told with great gusto at the many traditional gatherings held across the country and at the Puppet Theatre in Ulaanbaatar. On my internet journey I did discover there are an amazing number of puppet theatre festivals held on every continent, the biggest is the 10 day 'Festival Mondial des Theatres de Marionettes' held every two years in France and described as "bonkers and brilliant", yes I think that does sum up a puppet show.
High on a hill are two goats
1988: Goats
The wonderfully stylised clouds on both sets of stamps make me wonder if these two sets were drawn by the same stamp designer.
State Emblem of Mongolia



Sunday Stamps II prompt this week is the Letter M - for Mongolia, Marionettes and Mammals - more M on See It On A Postcard

4 comments:

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps - the two goats on the hill are my favorite of this bunch.

violet s said...

i don't really think of Mongolia as a colourful country for some reason. But these stamps are a riot of bright colour.

Mail Adventures said...

I love marionettes! And, of course, this naive designs. I would like to know the stories behind!

Bob Scotney said...

Most of my Mongolian stamps are different shapes. Love the goats and marionettes as a theme.