Sunday 22 September 2013

National Costumes

At the height of the cold war the USSR issued a series of stamps on Provincial Costumes.  It is interesting to see from today's perspective that most of the costumes featured are now from independent countries issuing their own stamps. This one shows costumes from Lithuania where the aprons are always a geometric design.
Next comes Georgia and Byelorussia (today's Belarus).  I like how the designer, Valeri Pimenov,  has decorated the wording to look like a piece of ethnic embroidery or sash.

Here we move east to Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan and unfortunately  the last of the stamps I possess.  I'm now wondering why I have never pursued the others to create a whole. I feel a project coming on.

An entry to Viridian Postcard's Sunday Stamps theme of - Ethnic and National Costumes

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love the predominantly red costumes. It seems that many of us participants to Sunday Stamps posted something from Belarus :)

VioletSky said...

Oh yes, I think you need to find the rest of the set!