Saturday 10 December 2011

Greenland

What could typify the Greenland coast better than the two 50 ore stamps above?  This is a lower denomination stamp from a set commemorating Greenland Mail Transport.  The mail kayaks shown were used in the transporting of post to remote locations. For safety reasons they were always sent in pairs, the letters were stowed in waterproof bags behind the paddler.  Appropriately the other stamp is of Frederik IX of Denmark, sometimes called the Sailor King. He ruled from 1947 to 14 January 1972, his death the very year this postcard was sent. Not only did he have an active naval service where in the manner of sailors everywhere he gained many tattoos, he also trained as a conductor of classical music.   The Danish monarch is Greenland's head of state,

From 1969 Greenland stamps also bear the name Kalatdut Nunat which means "Our Country" (that is the Greenlanders' land or country) although it was not until 1979 that they gained home rule.

The postal mark is Sondre Stromfjord (Inuit name - Kangerlussuaq)  on the south west Greenland coast where a 100 mile fjord cuts a straight path into the interior of Greenland.  It is an area of diverse wildlife and I think the indistinct creature on the bottom is a musk ox.  Stromfjord also has  largest airfield in Greenland which is the main staging area for scientific personnel manning the research facilities, seismic stations and base camps.  I wonder if the person who sent this card to England was one of the scientific personnel
He sent a cute fabric card, the clothing of the girl with the ball is long stitched.  It must be a first call for Father Christmas to the white north, his sledge is still full.

Originally I scanned the full back of the card then discovered that the Cragg family still live at the same address so I have hastily cropped. 

 Our sender, Willy, sends Christmas greetings to the family (familien) Cragg. "Just a little Christmas greeting and a good new year".  As it is in Danish that is all I can make out.

An entry to Sunday Stamps theme 'The Great White North'

 
 
 

9 comments:

Stamp Raider said...

Great post!

Postcardy said...

That is a fantastic postcard!

Bob Scotney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Scotney said...

Oops - too many errors first time.
These are the first I have seen from Greenland,

Sreisaat said...

I love the postcard, too. I could feel the texture of the girl and doll's clothes.Was it embroidered or something?
I can only imagine the dangers of transporting mails via kayaks. I hope they're not doing it anymore these days :)

I have two entries this week, please visit when you have time. Anyways, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Postcards Crossing
My Stamp Menagerie

VioletSky said...

That postcard is beautiful and so colourful!
I wonder how much mail those kayakers took with them and how long it took to get their mail. I imagine each piece received was cherished after its journey.

Ana said...

wow, what a way to transport mail! Gives an adrenaline rush and feels even more special to have received a Greenland mail! Awesome!!

viridian said...

Lovely card - I can see the stitching on the girl's sweater. I wonder if the postmark on my stamp is the same place - I can make out the word "Kanger". thanks for participating.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

It's a perfect representation of the Great White North! the stamps do give a real feeling for the area.