Thursday 11 April 2024

Bus Stop

 Thursday Postcard Hunt is in search of Buses, Trams and Taxis and this week I am on the buses

London 1963

and here is one for all the Dr Who fans. How are the Daleks to get on Routemaster bus without disability access? The BBC have put all available Dr Who episodes online and the early appearance of the Daleks feature some great shots of them trundling around London. These evil schemers were such a success that they used them a lot for publicity, meet them here and you will see my card has a cropped photo.
Buses at Buckingham Palace
This postcard was part of a series of view for the 'Picture Postcard Centenary 1894-1994' issued by Mayfair Cards.  The inscription on the back says "Bus services are not normally allowed in the Royal Parks. However in the late 20s Piccadilly was closed to allow a new gas main to be installed and bus routes were diverted past the Palace through St James Park"
Bus Station, 1950's Helsinki

I don't know what time of year this is but the road looks like a skating rink, everything normal to the Finns.  I always like a bus station, people watching and wondering where everyone is going, once I have found out where I am going from.
Bus Station (Artist - Dave Robinson)

Possibly Preston Bus Station which was saved from demolition by a Save the Bus Station campaign.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love that Dalek shot! So many buses in the Helsinki photo, and what a great looking car that is in the foreground!

I wonder where the planes are going when I see one taking off from my nearby airport. Not nearby as I hear the planes, thank goodness I'm not under their flight paths, but only a few minutes drive away.

marina said...

I really like the card with buses at Buckingham Palace. All four cards are great captures.

violet s said...

ooh, Daleks!! And, I love the brutalist Preston Bus Station. That must have been quite a treat for those people diverted by Buckingham Palace.

Mail Adventures said...

These are some curious pictures!
I love the last one. As I wrote elsewhere, I think we need more postcards about modern architecture.