Sunday 4 February 2024

Harbour Lights

 

1968: Centenary of Esbjerg Harbour (Design - M Stage; Engraver - Cz Slania)

This harbour light has seen many changes in 100 years, Esbjerg was once home to 600 fishing vessels but in contrast today it is one of the world's largest shipping ports for wind turbines.

1987: Views
Sailing in Havelet Bay, I think the harbour light in the background is the approach into St Peter Port
2003: Europa: Six Decades of Tourism Poster Art

which could be this one which featured on a 2002 poster when Guernsey Tourism's theme was 'Naturally Guernsey'
1986: Tourism Series
The cancel hides the attractiveness of Calella Lighthouse (inaugurated in 1859) which can be seen here, although one of our number will know this already.

Sunday Stamps theme this week is - Lighthouses - See It On A Postcard



4 comments:

violet s said...

I think a budding poet wrote that piece in your link!
That must be quite a change for the people of Esbjerg, but I like the sails competing for prime position in this stamp, and almost blocking out the lighthouse.

Mail Adventures said...

These would have a place in my collection :)
I love the water on the "Naturally Guernsey" poster stamp. Nice illustration!

viridian said...

great stamps. The comment above made me really notice the water!

marina said...

Great eElighthouses. I like the style and color in the Danish one!