Sunday 28 July 2024

Westward Ho


1976: Olympic Games, Montreal
When Canada hosted the Olympics in 1976  inventively the flame was transferred by satellite via an electronic pulse derived from the Olympic flame in Greece.  Some news outlets described it in rather more futuristic terms as a laser beam. Pathe News captured the moment here .
Communication Arts

Thanks to the communication arts we all saw the journey of the flame in Paris by a sure footed messenger amid the deluge of rain.  The veteran Olympians carrying the flame in a speeding boat may have envisioned a balmy Parisian night when they signed up but judging by Carl Lewis' face as the boat bounced along the Seine with spray and rain soaking them this was not the ride he was expecting. Nadia Comaneci with a gymnasts balance looked quite serene, I would be like Serena Williams and know this was the person to grab hold of.

1989: Olympic Games, Barcelona '92
The rain has impacted some events but not
the diving
1990: Olympic Games, Barcelona '92

or volleyball

Sunday Stamps is in the western hemisphere - visit See It On A Postcard



5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I miss when all the countries issue the Olympic series!

Marina said...

The Nicaragua diving stamp is my favorite.

violet s said...

I also miss when Olymic stamps were ubiquitous.
I didn't remember about the flame lighting. I have been going down memory lane of other torch lightings... (Barcelona!!!)

viridian said...

I saw a news piece here in the USA about the USA women's synchronized diving. Yes it exists and looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

I am not a big sports fan, so even the Olympics are usually something I don't usually watch. A few things here and there. So, I didn't know that about 1976.