Sunday 27 December 2020

January Holidays


1963: New Year (Design - Eva Zombory)
Its a Happy New Year from Hungary with all the good luck symbols, horseshoe, four leaf clover, mistletoe and holly berries.  The first holiday of the year, sometimes spent recovering from a hangover or for the hardy a New Year swim in the sea.
1979: Design - Fritz Wegner)
I think only one Sunday Stamper may have this as an official holiday for it is Epiphany on the 6th January and the arrival of the Three Kings.  The artist, Fritz Wegner, was known for the rich detail in his illustrations and he hasn't held back with this one
1984: Australia Day (Design - Jon Quinn)

Lastly we reach the 26th January and Australia Day.  This is Cook's Cottage which was built in 1755 in Great Ayton, North Yorkshire, England and shipped to Australia in 1934 by Sir Russell Grimwalde.  It was the home of the navigator Captain Cook's parents.  Inside it is furnished with items from the 18th Century.  The village of Great Ayton has an obelisk where the cottage once stood.

 

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Other Holidays - taken at  See It On A Postcard

4 comments:

violet s said...

Those three kings look splendid indeed!
That cottage seems to have held up well through the years and long journey.

viridian said...

Thanks you for sharing. I hadn't thought about New Year of epiphany stamps. I don't think I have any to share, myself.

Mail Adventures said...

I like they wrote the wishes in different languages on the Hungarian stamp.

The Epiphany may be one of my favourite days of the year. And, of course, I love the stamps of the Magi. Luckily, a friend sent me this one on a letter last year :)

Bob Scotney said...

We only live a few miles from Great Ayton so have seen the former site many times.