Thursday, 6 August 2026

Trips in Trains

 See Ir On A Postcard's Thursday Postcard Hunt for August will be Travelling, this week, on trains

1980: 150th Anniv of Liverpool and Manch ester Railway (Designer - David Gentleman)

 

A full train of day trippers, some are in the 1st class carriage and others in 2nd class

All together on the Ravenglass and Eskdale narrow gauge railway enjoying a day out in the Eskdale valley.  Just in case you were thinking about the Lake District's proclivity to rain they also run covered carriages.
Strasburg Rail Road, Strasburg, Pennsylvania
In contrast, a big country needs a big train. Great Western  #90 built in 1924 originally pulled sugar beet in Colorado. Purchased in 1967 by the Strasburg Rail Road who needed a more powerful locomotive to pull the  increasing numbers of tourists. The card says "Ride the train and experience the Amish farm country for yourself". 

3 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Although I have taken a couple of tourist trains (in Sweden, in Tunisia, in Majorque...) I never associate trains with this kind of trips. Which result always pleasant!

marina said...

I love the first postcard!!! so whimsical!

Lisa said...

Both "class" of passengers seem to be having a great time! I like the narrow gauge railway. I've ridden short trips at parks and zoos on narrow gauge trains. We have a train park nearby, but I've never been. I guess I should... once the weather cools down.