 |
| 1983: Low Value Definitive Stamps |
Seven Stars Crags are limestone karsts peaks rising out of Star Lake in Guangdong. The lake is 20k long. I believe the early morning golden hour is the ideal time to capture the peaks reflections in the lake. The area is also famous for its colourful caves, underground rivers and ancient stone inscriptions.
Mt Zhumulangma, the Chinese name for Mt Everest
Taishan Mountains. Mount Tai is one of China's five sacred mountains rising to an elevation of 5,069 ft (1545 metres) and designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are about 7000 steps to climb to the top! Over 70 Chinese Emperors have used the stone steps, an imperial path to ascend the mountain to perform the sacrifices to heaven and earth at the top. Emperors and their massive entourages started the ascent from the Dai Temple. While emperors walked the sacred path as a display of piety and humility they sometimes were carried in sedan chairs up the steepest sections like the '
Eighteen Bends' which lead to the mountain's summit. This single section contains contains exactly 1.633 stone steps carved directly into the mountain cliff. Pity those sedan carriers.
 |
| 1979: Kluane National Park (National Park definitive series) |
Kluane National Park, home of high mountains, glaziers and grizzly bears. The artist Alan C Collier travelled to southwestern Yukon to paint its rugged icy white mountain landscape. The stamp features his 'Across the Tundra'.
Sunday Stamps theme this week - Mountains - See It On A Postcard
6 comments:
7,000 steps is quite a number!
Mount Tai stamp is impressive! I like the imperial path in the middle.
The path is something. I wonder how many could climb those steps, and how long it took. Of course, sitting in sedan chairs made it easier for some!
Great Stamps as always. I know I couldn't climb all those steps.
Fascinating Chinese stamps.
I'm not sure how I would feel sitting in a sedan chair feeling like I might be toppled out at any moment. The mountains in China are always so dramatic looking.
Post a Comment