Sunday 31 December 2023

Dark Sky

 

2014: Dark Sky Discovery

Left - Niarbyl    Right - Port Erin

With light pollution dark sky areas have become so important to experience the wonder of the universe.  The Isle of Man identified 7 sites to gaze at the heavens and in 2012 it was announced that all of them had been granted Dark Sky Grade 2 status.  Following popular support for the initiative a further 19 sites were submitted for UK Dark Sky Discovery (DSD) status which was granted in 2014

 

Left - Fort Island     Right - Langness

The criteria for all Grade 2 sites is that you should be able to see the Milky Way clearly on a dark clear moonless night. In Manx Gaelic this galaxy has been known as Raod Mooar re Gorry of the Great Way of King Orry, a major figure in the folklore of the island.  

Happily even with street lights our nearest neighbour lights the sky (weather permitting) so look up

2016: Planetary Correspondences

and the Man in the Moon may be there.

Sunday Stamps theme - Night Scenes -  See It On A Postcard



5 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

It's great to have so many good places to look at the sky from. I live in a small town but still... the sky is so different when I'm in the countryside!
It has always amazed me the idea of constellations; how somebody see some starts and turn them into a bear, or a crabe, or...

violet s said...

I need these diagrams to help define the constellations.
There is too much light pollution around where I live - I get excited when I can see half a dozen stars!

FinnBadger said...

Thanks for sharing the Isle of Man stamps. The only constellation I can identify when looking at the stars is the Big Dipper. I love the whole set your French stamp is from, they all make me smile.

Best wishes for 2024!

viridian said...

Lovely star stamps. I have light pollution near me too. :-(

marina said...

The four stamps are so great! And the story behind it, too.
Happy 2024!