Sunday 3 July 2022

Literary Greats

 

1975: Jane Austen Birth Bicentenary (Design - Barbara Brown)

Lots of Mr Darcy and a lone Catherine Morland emerge from the pages of Jane Austen

2004: 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Sand
 

The steady gaze of George Sand at her house in Nohant

1968: UNESCO - Cultural Personalities of the 20th Century

Maxim Gorky travelling across Russia


1996: Europa - Famous Women

and Madame de Sévigné is about to write a witty letter

Sunday Stamps theme this week is - Literary Greats - See It On A Postcard



3 comments:

violet s said...

Thatis quite the caricature of Gorky!!
I remember being quite taken with George Sand as a teenager. Maybe I was attracted to her 'scandalous' behaviour? I should reread some of her works and see what I think now.

Mail Adventures said...

Those Mr. Darcy are not like I imagined him when I first read the book...

I've never read Madame de Sevigné. I like the stamps that show the handwriting of the characters depicted. I found an Indian philatelist who collects specifically those.

viridian said...

Thanks for sharing! I'll try to get my post up now.