Sunday 19 June 2022

Hirsute

 

1930: Emir Abdullah bin A-Hussain

I suppose the Middle East is beard central so here is is King Abdullah, founder of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and mentor to his grandson, the late King Hussein.

1982: Maritime Heritage

Kings are a rich resource for all kinds of beards so here is someone you wouldn't want to marry if wanting a long life, Henry VIII.

1967: French Art

Not a dissimilar beard vibe going on here with Francis I, a great patron of the arts. Not only can one see this portrait by Jean Clouet in the Louvre but also one of the King's purchases which was brought to France by Leonardo da Vinci always attracts the crowds.

2011: History of the Russian Cossacks

The cossack army of Amur has arrived, I always think of them with mustaches but this one has a full beard.

1992: 100th Anniversary of Death of Werner von Siemens

At last I found a mustache, I was hoping for Frederich Nietzsche and his luxuriant mustache in my German stamps but instead of a philosopher I found the electrical engineer, inventor and industrialist,Werner Siemens 

Sunday Stamps theme this week is - Mustaches and Beards - its hairy at See It On A Postcard

2 comments:

violet s said...

What a fine collection!
I hadn't even looked at my Middle Eastern stamps for beards.
Henry VIII is not looking his best (I prefer the Damian Lewis look, myself)
But, Francis I ... there is so much to unravel in this portrait - the sleeves, the shoulders, the nose. His beard is the best part of him!

Mail Adventures said...

Some many beards around! And that impressive moustache!