Sunday 25 July 2021

Transportation

 Transporting people, post and products in past times are -

2003: Philexjeunes Stamp Exhibition - Utility Vehicles (Design Francois Bruere)

A 1932 Renault coach stopped by what looks like a mountain lake and a remarkably clean coal delivery vehicle

1978: Day of the Stamp (Design J Krall)

A rather quaint post-bus of 1913.

 

2020: Mail Ships (Design Andrew Robinson)


Taking to the water here is a three masted steamer, the Ariadne built in 1823. I thought at first the funnel was a lighthouse, then I saw the smoke coming out of it... 

This time I can tell the difference. The 'Antelope' steaming past a  harbour light. This was the first of three ships built for the Great Western Railway when they started the Weymouth-Channel Islands service. Her maiden voyage was on 3rd August 1889

Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - Transportation - travel to See It On A Postcard

4 comments:

Debs @ PennyBlack1840.com said...

What a wonderful selection ... they've all got that romantic, vintage travel air about them! Any news of our Sunday Stamps host?

Mail Adventures said...

Atmospheric stamps. I like them.

Joy said...

No Debs I'm hoping its just technical problems.

violet s said...

yep. technical issues are not my forte!
I have a great love of these old 1930s coaches/buses.