Sunday 7 February 2021

Year of the Ox

1999: Lunar New Year Cycle (Design - Kao Tai-kung)

 I only have one Year of the Ox stamp which as I was born in the year of the ox is rather an oversight on my part, no wonder this ox is looking quizzical.  The Ox is on the earthly branch of the Chinese zodiac and this year is the Year of the Metal Ox so

1973: Centenary of Nordic Museum (Design - Nils P Blix; Engraver - Cz Slania)

happily this stamp combines both elements of earth and metal with the lone ox leading the plow.

1959: 1st World Agriculture Fair, New Delhi
Two working in tandem in India
1938-1952: Definitive 'Sugar Industry'
I wonder if these two chew on the sugar cane or prefer something more healthy.  It is said that oxen are good for the soil for they are soft footed and nimble so don't impact the soil like tractors and heavy machinery and they also come with their own supply of fertilizer.



Happy Lunar New Year


Sunday Stamps II theme this week is - animals of lunar new year - See It On A Postcard
 

3 comments:

violet s said...

I thought it was because they were strong and sturdy beasts, but I like the thought that they are also soft footed. The Indian guys have nice long legs :)

Mail Adventures said...

The ox on the first stamp seems also a bit strange to me; but nice colours, anyway! The stamps are superb, as usual :)

Bob Scotney said...

I like the contrast between the Swedish and the Indian stamps.