Sunday 8 September 2019

Red

1979: Airmail - "Planet Exploration"
The Mars 3 robotic space probe flies above the red planet.  The descent module would eventually land but unfortunately in the middle of a Martian dust storm which was probably the reason it only managed to transmit for 20 seconds.
1973: Exploration of Venus
Another day another planet this time the more hostile Venus. I think this stamp set celebrates the Russian Venera programme, the most extensive exploration of one planet which took place from 1961-1985 and consisted of 3 atmospheric probes, 10 landings, 4 orbiters, 11 flybys and even 2 balloon probes into the clouds. Did someone say balloons?
1982: 200th Anniversary of Manned Flight - Balloons
The Royal Vauxhall Balloon which in 1836 Charles Green and crew of two set off from the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens across the channel and eighteen hours and 480 miles later landed in Germany.  This set a new record which lasted until 1907.
1990: Butterflies "Polygonia c-album"
Of course if you are a Comma butterfly then flying comes easy and it always amazes me the distances these tiny creatures can cover
1982: Roses (Design - Heinz Schillinger)
Perhaps they will be attracted to the scent of a Bourbon rose in a garden but
2001: Carnivorous Plants (Design - Steve Buchanan)
not be lured by a Venus Flytrap. Yikes -
1984: Traditional Dance Masks
Zamindi, a 'dreadful god' with ripper teeth and five skulls but on the good side she does have the eye of wisdom in the middle of her forehead.


Sunday Stamps II prompt this week is - Red - See It On A Postcard 


2 comments:

violet s said...

I like how you managed to get two venuses into this week's theme!
As usual, great segues to each stamp.

Mail Adventures said...

Believe or not, the "red planet" was what came to my mind first when I read the theme. But, alas, I haven't any Mars stamp (or I didn't find it).

I love how you enchained the red stamps. The balloon one is the most beautiful of this post, in my opinion. I rarely see stamps from Mongolia, and I've never got any.