Friday 23 November 2018

Dr Who Birthday

2013: Classic TV - 50 Years of Dr Who
The first episode of Dr Who 'An Unearthly Child' aired on 23d November 1963 so today is its 55th birthday although of course there was a big gap from 1989 until it was revived in 2005 (if ignoring the one off TV film with Paul McGann which I don't count). I show the first five Doctors in these stamps because everyone has 'their' doctor and mine is Patrick Troughton, the second doctor, although in full disclosure I've watched the series from that very first episode and the TARDIS finding itself in a junk yard on Earth.  Here the TARDIS has landed on the postmark of its filming location, Cardiff.  But what would Dr Who be without his arch nemesis
the Daleks who will celebrate their birthday on 21st December when in 1963 and the second series they bookended Christmas.  This year a bit of tradition is gone as there is no Christmas Day Dr Who -  Exterminated - instead there is a New Year's Day special.  The perfect way to start 2019. 

1 comment:

FinnBadger said...

Tom Baker was mine, and I was terrified of the daleks when I was a kid - they gave me nightmares.