Thursday 31 October 2013

Hellas

Instantly recognisable is the map of Greece and her islands. I enjoyed picking out all the places I have been to and remembering the marvellous time spent there. On looking at the map I realised that I have never visited the east coast of the mainland. Then again, although I've been to some amazing classical sites, I  have not been to the famous ones shown down the left side of the card - Knossos in Crete, the Thasos at Delphi and the Parthenon.  You've got to leave something for the next visit!  The card did not come from Greece but from Kathrin in
Germany so instead of floating on the iridescent Aegean sea with the islands drifting past in the distance here is the 2004 stamp of SS Bremen with the Manhattan skyline in the background. With its high speed engines and streamline profile this ship was the holder of the Blue Ribbon for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic in both directions. The card also came with one of the pretty German flower definitives

As previously mentioned I've never been to Crete but I do have a card of Knossos which I picked up at a charity shop
which shows a more expanded version of the Watch-room of the Palace than the map card and came with a stamp
from the 1970 'Labours of Hercules' series and features the Centaur Nessus (from a vase illustration).

No comments: