Sunday 20 January 2013

Cartoon Stories


As an alternative to my favourite Inge Löök's anarchic Finnish aunties here is different Finnish duo dreamt up by Tina Pajo and Sari Luhtanen - Maisa and Kaarina.  The popular cartoon strip has appeared in the weekly magazine Anna for over twenty years.  This stamp is from a booklet of 6 stamps which also included 30 speech bubbles which you could attach to the stamps (Another imaginative touch from Posti).  The cartoon strip follows  life's ups and downs of these 20/30 something friends.  The set was issued in 2011 for the 100th Anniversary of the National Council of Women of Finland and the duo were chosen for the "Wonderful Women" theme, as it was thought they showed the "versatile daily roles of women".  

To move on to the animal kingdom, always a popular theme for cartoons we have
the book Vuk about a young fox written by Istvàn Fekete, turned into a film in 1981 and called  The Little Fox. in its English language release.  Born in the spring near a pond Vuk's parents are killed by a ranger (humans are called smooth skins) and he is brought up by his uncle Karak where he learns how to survive in the world and becomes very clever. His uncle too is killed, he rescues his sister from imprisonment and then they both bring up their own families.  The film is apparently both moving and funny showing the cycle of life. I've never seen it but there is both the Hungarian version with subtitles and the English version on You Tube.

Travelling from Europe to the USA and
2004: Disney Cartoon Characters
two classic Disney films which never seem to date and have entered most peoples childhoods, beautiful cartoon drawings and great stories.
1970: 250th Anniversary of Baron Von Munchhousen
Stories were things that Baron Von Munchhausen (1720-1797)  loved to tell about his war and other adventures, largely from his own imagination.  These stories were collected by Rudolf Raspe and further exaggerated and the two volumes regale the Baron's astounding adventures which include the one portrayed on the stamp, that of the horse presented to him by Count Przobossy on which he performs extraordinary feats, even when the horse is severed in two

An entry to Viridian Postcard's Sunday Stamps theme of Cartoons and cartoon like drawings.

10 comments:

Lisa B said...

Great selection of stamps! Every time I see some Finnish stamps I really like them and this one is no exception, sounds a bit like a Bridget Jones series.

Bob Scotney said...

I echo Lisa's comment about this great collection. Finland always seems to be different and fun. The foxes are delightful and Baron Munchhousen adventures always interested me.

viridian said...

Seeing all these stamps brings a smile to my face. Thank you for sharing.

agi said...

love the diversity here :)

VioletSky said...

each set is very different (though I think I still prefer Inge Look)
I will need to look up Munchausen's adventures as a refresher.

Postcards Crossing said...

I love them all! I have heard a lot about the anarchic aunties and want to have them either in stamp or postcard form. I agree, stamp issues from Finland are among the best there is.

Ana said...

I never grew fond of Inge Löök, but I think im gonna love these other two ladies :)
And the animal and Disney stamps are just sooo cute!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Your pics make me miss my stamp collecting days.

Hazel said...

"anarchic Finnish aunties" sound so interesting to me. Thanks for dropping by my nook.

Tina´s PicStory said...

nice stamps, even from germany :)