Monday 28 March 2011

St Petersburg

 A wonderful aerial view of St Petersburg and Nevsky Prospect, so much history lines its route and of course also famous for making an appearance in many classic Russian novels. The building in the foreground is the neoclassical Kazan Cathedral built in 1801 and modelled by Andrey Voronikhin after St Peter's Basilica in Rome.  It is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan and has an icon of her, the representation possibly better known as the black virgin. I love how you can see the rows of buildings and palaces all the way to the river with the golden dome just in the distance. The card came with
 one of the kremlin definitives, and one I did not have (only another 6 to go now, LOL).  It is of the Novgorod Kremlin. The tallest tower is the Kukui and one can climb to the top of it. If there is a tower with a view I am likely to climb it but I am not sure which it is in the stamp, the clue is that it is capped with a silver dome.

Thank you Yulia and Pavel who sent greetings from St Petersburg and then said "that is all George Harrison" which I did not get at first. But of course it is from the first line of his song - "that is all I have to say". I laughed at that comment, eventually!

No comments: