Monday 31 January 2011

Penguins

The image of Emperor Penguins that stays with me from wildlife films is of them standing on the ice of Antarctica in temperatures well below freezing while the wind howls round them. A group of perhaps a thousand huddled together, protectting their young, still in their fluffy plumage.  What hardy and wonderful creatures.

The Emperor is the tallest and heaviest of the penguins and breeds during the Arctic winter, travelling from 30 to 75 miles to the breeding colonies.  I rather like this map of their year from Wikipedia
The card came with one of the pretty German flower definitives
this one is Ballonblume or Balloon Flower (Platycodon grandiflorus).

Günter in Bavaria hopes I like this extra large card he sent me. I certainly do. Thank you Günter.   

No comments: